Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Resolutions part 3

Thought I could get two in the last one, but it ended up being too long. Anyway, continuing with elaborating on those resolutions:

Resolution #3: Stay in Shape. As stated, a very vague resolution, and one I wouldn’t really need to do anything to fulfil. I’m already ‘in shape’ by many standards – I can sustain physical exertion for an extended time, I don’t feel winded after running up a few flights of stairs, I have decent muscular strength, my BMI is within the range considered healthy. But still, it can be better. I’d like to be able to play a full game of ultimate at maximum effort without getting fatigued, and by summer be able to play a full two-day tournament (or I suppose four days if I can make it to nationals) without getting worn down by the end. And I’d like to get rid of my gut and maybe develop a bit of muscle tone.

With those ends in mind, I need some concrete goals. These can be of two kinds – those focused on results and those on the process. Unfortunately the former can be a bit hard to measure so most of these are the latter. Perhaps when spring comes I’ll add something along the lines of a minimum fitness level defined by the ‘beep test’ but I’m not sure I’ll be able to test that regularly until I can run it outdoors. Anyway, goals:
- Run a minimum 5 km every week. Note that’s a single run, not cumulative. I’ll probably add distance and frequency as spring approaches/arrives, but this should be a decent start for now. The goal of this is to increase muscle endurance and aerobic fitness.
- Train for, and run, the half marathon. This is a performance goal related to the distance running above. As a more specific goal, I want to beat my previous best time of 1:50, set several years back.
- Minimum one other workout every week. This should be something to complement distance running, something like stairs, interval training, circuit training, etc. Basically, more focused on short range endurance, anaerobic fitness, muscle tone, etc. Minimum 30 minutes for this to count.
- 50 pushups and 50 situps every day. This will develop muscle tone and core strength. Might need to increase the situps later to make sure I’m getting a substantial benefit from this.
- Maintain weight between 160-170 pounds (current: 169)
- Lose and keep off one inch around gut (current: 33)

This is all I have for now, but as summer approaches there will likely be more. This should do for a holding pattern for the winter but more will be needed, and indeed more should be feasible, as the summer season approaches. More on this later in the year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home