Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Fun with autocomplete

Like many (most?) people I have an autocomplete funtion on my browser; while it’s annoying sometimes I must admit it saves time. While typing in a search on Google, I started to think about what the entries below said about me. Hmmm. While on that thought, here’s a sampling of what comes up in my autocomplete with each single letter search:

A: “adobe acrobat”. One of those programs you just can’t live without.

B: “beer disc”. To find out how much beer you can fit in a disc… for a Discraft Ultrastar, it’s apparently about 54 oz., or about four and a half cans of beer.

C: “corydonia”. Links here, then I can just click on a bunch of my regular links rather than Google for them. Also I can check for comments! Which sadly never come.

D: “disc standards committee”. Actually found this in my earlier search for “beer disc”. Since someone on the UPA disc Standards Committee had been informative on a disc’s beer capacity, I searched on them later to see if the knew the probability of a disc landing up or down. No luck.

E: “en.wikipedia.org”. Because wikipedia knows stuff Google doesn’t.

F: “folk festival music store”. Seller of all things Folk Fest. Plus CDs, guitar strings, and concert tickets without horrendous Ticketmaster fees.

G: “greg macpherson”. Local singer/songwriter. I like everything I hear from him but don’t own an album. Must change that.

H: “hallowinona xii”. That’s right, Hallowinona XII in Winona, MN, October 28-29. Three more sleeps!

I: “imdb”. When you gotta know that movie quote… or what else that guy was in…?

J: “jamie bishop pbase”. Regina guy who takes great pics. Lotsa good pics in his albums, including some great ones of Chaos in Saskatoon this year, and I actually show up in a few from Bohdown.

K: Nothing. Weird.

L: “liquid assets ultimate”. They have a website. Which doesn’t tell you much. I wasn’t sure about these guys after Flatlands and one particularly bad call one of them made… but since then I’ve decided these guys are alright.

M: Bunch of good ones here: “manitoba organization of disc sports”, “married to the sea”, “mec”, “myhuma”. Except one of them only seems to get updated every few months. You know who you are.

N: “newwinnipeg”. Local forum, I don’t post much but good to keep an ear to what’s going on in civic issues, and what’s important to random people around town.

O: “oh canada tab archive”. Unfortunately not updated in months if not years, but a great source for guitar tablature for Canadian artists.

P: “plastic”. Down for most of the summer, the discussion forum of “the web’s smartest readers” is back up. It’s fallen a bit since its glory days but still often a good discussion of interesting stories and issues.

Q: “quality hotel regina”. Official hotel of Regina Riot, but we ended up staying with billets.

S: “songmeanings”. Lots of inane discussion, but also some insight into what particular songs mean.

T: “taping turf toe”. Treatment for a minor recurring injury.

U: “ultivillage”. Great site for ultimate DVDs and highlight clips.

V: “vc ultimate”. One of two major Canadian suppliers of ulti gear. I own more Gaia stuff, but no slight on VC’s products.

W: “weakerthans”. Winnipeg’s best band and one of my favourites from anywhere. Fantastic songwriting from a band that rocks and always puts on a great live show.

X: Nothing again.

Y: “youtube”. The video upload site that can provide hours of entertainment. Unfortunately my ‘lite high speed’ internet connection makes it a bit slow to load anything.

Z: Nothing starts with z. At least, nothing I search for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home