Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Fools Fest Recap – Part 3 of 4

Following the end of games on Saturday most of the team had hung around the fields until sunset. Nice night for it, but I was getting anxious to go. The women had played at the main fields on campus, while we were at a state park miles out of town. Their games and ours were long finished and they were probably wondering where I was. No luck getting in touch by phone, and no one was in a hurry to leave. I resigned myself to enjoying the time there and accepting I was probably in trouble when I got back.

Finally people started to head back to their vehicles. I had to find a ride back with someone, the people I came with had already left. There were 11 of us, and a dog, for 2 vehicles. Hmmm. I got in with three other people in the back seat of an SUV. Not comfortable, but it worked.

Not wanting to inconvenience the others in the vehicle, I told them they could drop me off on the way across from the fields on campus, given it was a relatively short walk for me from there. As it turned out they were headed first to a pizza joint located at the same intersection, so I told them they could drop me there. No time for pizza, I should really be getting back. Said my goodbyes and started jogging towards the billet. It was a bit farther than I recalled – was it really only a ten minute walk? Seemed to be taking that long to run the same route. Finally the billet was in sight. People were hanging out on the porch. Good, not everyone had left for the party. As I walked up I was greeted with “Ah, there he is” and told that there was a note on the door for me. “Does it say I’m in big trouble?” I wondered aloud. No, it did not. It said that my wife and some of her teammates had left to go to a pizza joint for free food, if I got back soon I should join them. The name of the pizza joint was familiar. I had just been dropped off there. Dammit!

I dropped my stuff off inside and jogged right back. Found my wife et al in short order. Recounted the mixup, to their amusement. Got some free pizza. All good. Also caught up with the DingWop guys who were there. I’d see them at the party. But first, I needed my wristband to get in. None of them had them. The guy who did? Back at the hotel. However… they were headed right there, should I hop in with them? OK, I said. My wife and her friends were going shopping. I told them I’d see them later with my wristband.

I hopped in again in the same vehicle. Four in the back, again. We got to the hotel downtown and found the rooms. The guy with the wristbands? Not there. OK, I’ll just hang out for a bit – chill with the team and have a few beers. Finally he arrived and I got my wristband. I checked my watch – getting late. Gotta go, I said, and headed out.

Now – I hadn’t completely thought this through on my way in, but I had to get back to the billet – again – and I had no ride. No one was heading back that way; I doubt any of them were in a condition to drive by this point. Well, fine. I knew where the billets were, I knew it was less than three miles away, and I knew I was in good shape. I’ll jog, I decided.

I knew if I just go down Massachusetts to 19th and then head west, I’m pretty much there. But Mass Ave is too full of pedestrians and running in a straight line is boring, so I took a more diagonal routing. What I forgot was that this would take me right into the KU campus, which was a little disorienting, but certainly made for an interesting route. After taking some winding campus roads and cutting between dorms and lecture halls, I finally found my way out and onto 19th. A few more blocks and I was there. Only 40 minutes. Not bad.

By this time, though, people were getting antsy to leave. I had a quick shower, cleaned up nicely, and was ready to head. On to the party!

After my early evening adventures, the party might’ve been a letdown. But this was Fools Fest, and the 25th anniversary no less, and the party was decidedly on. Free beer, of course, and this year they’d lined up a band for the night – Liquid Soul, I highly recommend checking them out. Most of the women’s team skipped out early or stayed home entirely, but the Dingwoppers were there in full force. Definitely picked up with the right team. We drank, danced, grooved, and caught up with a few of the guys till about 1 am, then decided it was about time to head. It was starting to rain, games would be starting at 9 am the next morning (yeah right), and we would lose an hour of sleep because of the time change – fall back, don’t forget! – so we’d have to forfeit any chance of winning the party this time. In keeping with the theme of neglecting to plan ahead we had no idea where to get a cab nor any means to call for one, but we tracked down someone with a cell phone and someone else who knoew the relevant number to call. Ten minutes later we had a cab and rode through the now pouring rain back to our billets. Five minutes after that we were in the door, in bed and sound asleep. One more day of Fools Fest glory awaited in the morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home