Friday, January 27, 2006

Wednesday night pickup rocks

For the past while, during winter league season there has been one slot set aside onWednesday nights for the touring players (plus a few non-touring players with aspirations) to play some pickup. Nothing formal... just show up, pay a token fee for field rentals, put on a light or dark shirt and get on the field as soon as there's room. Some players keep score, some don't, but don't take that as it's not competitive. This ain't rec.

Anyway I've been going since shortly after it started, and it's great. I always get something out of it. First time I got a kick in the ass and a wakeup call that I was out of shape and hadn't played at that level in along time. Other times I've got some pointers from more experienced players, practice on some key aspects of my game, a reminder about how offensive or defensive structres are supposed to work, and everytime it's a good workout. Last time out what I got was confidence. We had enough for two fields so I was on the far one with two teams that basically played savage... between that and the cold I was fighting I wasn't sure how long I'd last. But then about a third of the way in, something clicked. Everyone seemed to be tiring faster than I was. I was making cuts that were getting open... even deep, which I rarely do (and maybe should more often). And I was getting D's, which I often do at lower levels but much less frequently in competitive. By the end of it I think our team had a runaway win (not sure on the score though) and I wasn't feeling my cold at all.

Now I'm feeling psyched about our next league game (this Sunday, a rematch against a team that beat us last week by a single point)... hoping I can bring the same game. Or maybe I'm just brimming with overconfidence now and it'll take a schooling next Wednesday to bring back some humility. But I think I'll ride this as long as it goes.

3 Comments:

Blogger Huma said...

welcome Drury... you've been sucked in!!!! boowooohahahaha!!

BTW - you're welcome for the confidence boost Wednesday - glad I was able to contribute something :)

12:36 a.m.  
Blogger Huma said...

K - Been trying in vain to post a comment on your 'random ideas'.

How about using the red light cameras to fine ppl who don't immediately pull over for emergency vehichles? Have you ever needed to wait for fire / police or ambulance? Imagine adding seconds to that wait simply because ppl are trying to 'squeeze in[' ahead of teh ambulance during rush hour.... THEN, you take that $$$ and add it to the Express lane victims :)

1:27 p.m.  
Blogger Druski said...

OK, not sure what happened to the random ideas post but I was able to somehow recover it.

Anyway, the evil people who don't pull over must be punished... unfortunately the red light cameras lack the good sense to take care of it... all they know how to do is take pictures of people who trigger their induction loop. Good for speeding and red light running, not for blocking ambulances.
Anyway I do like the idea of putting extra traffic cops behind them to ticket people, of course, if that's actually effective in getting people to stop than it's no longer cost effective from fining people. So that leaves only one solution: ambulance-mounted rocket launchers to take out anyone blocking their path. This will of course lead to far more lives lost than saved, but at least it'll be the right people getting killed.

6:27 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home